« Home | Don't Believe The Green Party Hype » | Quotable #2 Election Day Special » | View » | Saguaro » | By The Time I Get To Arizona » | Quotable #1 » | Reconciling Efficiency With Humanity » | I'm Schroeder? I Hate Beethoven! » | Forget Destiny, WiFi & Cheap Heat Will Bring Us Pr... » | Southside Story--The Same Pigs At The Trough » 

Saturday, November 12, 2005 

Songs For Elizabeth

The liner notes for the CD I put together for Elizabeth's memorial service. The music is from my collection and reflect my impressions of my sister and her life. I recently received her laptop computer with her music collection. I'm going to put together an equivalent CD from her perspective. It's been a difficult few weeks, what with the final disposition of my father's house and his possessions and Elizabeth's possessions being shipped here.

1) "I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For"--U2
No collection for Elizabeth would be complete without her favorite band--U2. This song (the live version with the gospel choir) highlights both Elizabeth’s search for religious meaning and the fact that her life was tragically short.

2) "Roam"--B-52’s
I don’t know if Elizabeth was a fan or not, but she certainly took this song to heart. “Roam if you want to / roam around the world.”

3) "Climbing Higher Mountains"--Aretha Franklin
Again, Elizabeth was certainly the most religious member of our family, and who better to get that across than Aretha?

4) "All You Need Is Love"--The Beatles
My sister had the biggest heart of anyone I have ever known. She loved her family and friends.

5) "Late"--Ben Folds
Written for a friend who died young, this song captures my sorrow at everything I never got to say to Elizabeth, the unknown future that now will never be. It’s a cliche, but hold your family close--before it’s too late.

6) "California Stars"--Wilco with Billy Bragg
From the project creating modern music for unpublished Woody Guthrie lyrics. My sister loved the Golden State--sun, sand and surf. “I’d like to dream my troubles all away / on a bed of California stars.”

7) "You’re Missing"--Bruce Springsteen
No collection that I make would be complete without Bruce. While this song was written in the wake of the 9/11 tragedy, I read an interview with Bruce talking about how the smallest day-to-day memories of lossed loved ones can be the most painful.

8) "Goodnight Elisabeth"--Counting Crows
“I hope that you're ok / I hope you're resting quietly / I just wanted to say / Goodnight Elisabeth .”

9) "Little Wing"--Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray--all have done this beautiful song about the girl “with a thousand smiles, she gives to me free.”

10) "Angel"--Fleetwood Mac
Elizabeth always loved Fleetwood Mac, she even wore out my vinyl copy of “Rumours.”
The song is basically nonsense, but the bass groove on this song just makes me smile and helps me believe that things will turn out O.K.

11) "My Sweet Lord"--George Harrison
One last tune about my sister’s religious faith, skip the Hare Krishna junk and dig the commitment.

12) "Shower the People"--James Taylor
My sister never had to be reminded of the truth behind these lyrics, it was her gift to us: “Better to shower the people you love with love / Show them the way that you feel / Things are gonna be just fine if you only will.”

13) "You Are The Light"--Lone Justice
No, not another song about my sister’s religious life (although it certainly looks that way after looking at the lyrics.) It’s here because the singer wrote the song for her brother who was struggling with a serious illness.

14) "2 Kool 2 Be 4-gotten"--Lucinda Williams
The title says it all.

15) "Keep Me In Your Heart"--Warren Zevon
I can’t listen to this song without crying:

“Shadows are falling and I'm running out of breath / Keep me in your heart for awhile / If I leave you it doesn't mean I love you any less / Keep me in your heart for awhile

“When you get up in the morning and you see that crazy sun / Keep me in your heart for while / There's a train leaving nightly called when all is said and done/ Keep me in your heart for while

Sometimes when you're doing simple things around the house / Maybe you'll think of me and smile / You know I'm tied to you like the buttons on your blouse
Keep me in your heart for while

“Hold me in your thoughts, take me to your dreams / Touch me as I fall into view
When the winter comes keep the fires lit / And I will be right next to you

Engine driver's headed north to Pleasant Stream
Keep me in your heart for while / These wheels keep turning but they're running out of steam / Keep me in your heart for while

Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la-li-li-lo / Keep me in your heart for while

Good choices ... my heart goes out to you for yur loss.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Phil
  • From Syracuse
My profile
www.flickr.com
Syruckus Phil At Sun's Syruckus photoset
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates