« Home | homer » | Aging In Place--New Thoughts On Community » | On Saul Alinsky, Community Organizing & Syracuse » | Free Bob Marley! » | Grassroots Democracy In Bloom » | Hey, Welcome! Meta Content Ahead. » | Cielito Lindo » | Red Sox On The Move » | Chris Whitley: "Walk it with the spirit/Talk it wi... » | Bruce Springsteen Speaks Out: "Bring 'Em Home!" » 

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 

This Lent, I'm Giving Up The Cynicism

For years I have been telling the same lame joke around this time of year: "This year I gave up Lent for Lent." As a Protestant of the Christmas & Easter variety, the rituals most associated with Catholicism were not part of our seasonal celebrations--Give something up for Lent? Are you crazy? It's all about the new clothes for church, chocolate bunnies for the kids and a big ham feast for the adults.

A recent article pointed out how even Protestants are celebrating Easter with ashes, fasting and self-sacrifice.

The older I get, the more I find the appeal of religion is in its stark challenge to modern materialism. Our society has seemingly abandoned all good sense and devoted itself to the selfish satisfaction of buying and consuming. Concern for those less fortunate is considered to be soft-headed and a waste of time. Recognizing alternative ways of thinking and living has become more important to me, even if it means tolerating some religious trappings along with the positive philosophy. Lent certainly has that kind of appeal. Give something up for Lent. Do something personally that will be difficult or uncomfortable.

Got it. No fast food or candy for 40 days. I'll let you know how it goes.

About me

  • I'm Phil
  • From Syracuse
My profile
www.flickr.com
Syruckus Phil At Sun's Syruckus photoset
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates