« Home | Red Sox On The Move » | Chris Whitley: "Walk it with the spirit/Talk it wi... » | Bruce Springsteen Speaks Out: "Bring 'Em Home!" » | Bono At The National Prayer Breakfast » | Mad Benny's First Encyclical » | On Blogging and I.F. Stone » | Democracy At 5 P.M. » | Welcome Back Theo! » | MLK, Jr.--The Next Generation » | Happy Birthday Dr. King » 

Monday, February 13, 2006 

Cielito Lindo

My wife was singing a song this morning while I was in the shower, the melody was so familiar that I started to sing as well. It was then that I realized that I was singing different lyrics. My wife was singing in her native Polish and I was singing in heavily accented gringo Spanglish. After poking around a little about this song, I realize that I truly am a product of my culture--the commercial, white-bread America of the late '60's/early '70's.

The song is familiar to many for its ay, yi, yi, yi chorus. After some internet searching, I found that the song is a Mexican folk song called Cielito Lindo (Lovely Heaven). It is a love song and the chorus says: "sing, don't cry", because singing makes your heart happy.

My wife was singing a Polish version of the song, one that used the same melody, but whose lyrics talked about how World War II forced people to scrounge for basic food supplies, including their beloved kielbasa and vodka.

I realized, much to my chagrin, that I was singing the theme song to a dimly remembered commercial (1968) for Fritos corn chips, anyone else remember the Frito Bandito?

Ayiee, yie-yie-yieeee, /I am dee Frito Bandito.
I love Frito's Corn Chips/I love dem I do.
I love Frito's Corn Chips/I take dem from you.

About me

  • I'm Phil
  • From Syracuse
My profile
www.flickr.com
Syruckus Phil At Sun's Syruckus photoset
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates