« Home | Now I Can Root For Brazil » | Sometimes Upstate & NYC Work Together » | Rock 'n' Roll Quote Of The Year » | Wow! Reality Triumphs Over DestiNY? For How Long? » | Bruce In Saratoga » | Bruuuuce! » | Dancin' In The Dark. . . Folk-style! » | Racing On The Fridge » | Finally! » | How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times And Live? » 

Thursday, June 29, 2006 

Summer Times Blues

Why has the New Times butchered its annual Summer Times insert? Man, I remember when I used to run out and get extra copies to mail to relatives out-of-town. We used to use the guide throughout the summer. Don't know what I'm talking about? Check out the 1996 version of the Summer Times.

In addition to Onondaga County, there were separate sections on Skaneatleles, Auburn, Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario, Oneida Lake, Madison County, Mohawk Valley, Adirondacks, Thousand Islands & the Leatherstocking area. Each section had information on the best places to swim, fish, eat, hike, shop and party. The writers even included directions for a scenic drive through the area and a special "hidden treasure" feature.

Now check out Summer Times 2006. There are only features on Onondaga County, Finger Lakes, Rochester, Thousand Islands and Oswego/Lake Ontario. The write-ups have been seriously limited in length and in content. Each feature highlights the annual festivals in the area and some museums or other attraction. Almost nothing is included on outdoors activities. Gone are the swimming holes, the scenic drives and the sense of promoting the small, out-of-the-way uniqueness of upstate N.Y.

Is it the money? If so, to raise funds for the alternative press weekly, I suggest the New Times should cobble together the best of the archived Summer Times and publishing a Best Of Upstate NY travel guide. Get Spyder Rybaak back to write the outdoors stuff, Walt Shepperd on the Westcott Nation and Capt. 'Cuse on the cover. Play to their strengths.

I love the New Times and I have read it continuously since my high school days in the 1970's. I love the paper even though the only time I've been in the newspaper, the New Times chided SUN for being rude and disrespectful by protesting the Midland Sewage plant on Nick Pirro's front steps at 9 AM on a Saturday morning. Despite never getting a response to my letter of complaint, I remain a loyal reader. I just hope that the good New Times (their Destiny coverage and their smart-aleck editorial tone) continue to outweigh the bad (current Summer Times, dislike of SUN).

About me

  • I'm Phil
  • From Syracuse
My profile
www.flickr.com
Syruckus Phil At Sun's Syruckus photoset
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates