« Home | Hillary Sucks, My iPod Rocks » | The Amazing Adventures Of Clot Boy » | I Fight Evil For A Living » | Bruce & The Seeger Sessions Band At Saratoga--New ... » | Nuestro Himno--canción del año » | Farewell To Arizona » | It's Not Taxes, It's Housing Costs » | Alternatives To A Wall--Raise Wages, Keep Factorie... » | Bruce Day Part 2--The Album » | Council Does the Right Thing, Against Their Will » 

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 

Cover Me

On the Listen Up blog from the Post Standard's Mark Bialczak is this iten about cover songs.

Ever go see a band in a bar? Ever hear them play an insipid cover of a song that sucked when the original band did it years ago? Should bands be barred from playing songs like “Celebration” by Kool & The Gang? Most purist rock fans I know would rather go to the opera than listen to a cover band. Then there are the drunk bar patrons who ONLY want to hear what they already know, as if the band were just a fancy jukebox.

Here’s a perfect lament on the strain on bands to play to the least common denominator bar patron by John Eddie, called “Play Some Skynyrd”:

“Here’s a song about my daddy/here’s a song about my past
Here’s a part where I open up my heart/Here’s a line where I tear off my mask
Then a voice in the back stops me in my tracks/brings me crashing back when they say

Play some Skynyrd, play some Petty, play some Seger, play some Dead
Who the hell is John Eddie?/That’s what the redneck said
If you want to stick around/you’ve got to play some Skynyrd.”

I’ve never been like my music police friends--while any band worth seeing plays mostly originals, I think a couple of well-chosen covers might give an insight into the band’s influences or even give them a chance to stretch their playing by tackling something radically different from their style.

Hence, my favorite covers:

1) Summertime Blues--The Who originally by Eddie Cochran

2) Oye Como Va--Santana originally by Tito Puente

3) Black Magic Woman--Santana originally by Fleetwood Mac

4) Take Me To The River--Talking Heads originally by Al Green

5) Hurt--Johnny Cash originally by Nine Inch Nails

6) Trapped--Bruce Springsteen originally by Jimmy Cliff

7) Knowing Me, Knowing You--Marshall Crenshaw originally by Abba

8) The Man Who Sold The World--Nirvana originally by David Bowie

9) Little Wing--Stevie Ray Vaughan originally by Jimi Hendrix

10) Respect--Aretha Franklin originally by Otis Redding

About me

  • I'm Phil
  • From Syracuse
My profile
www.flickr.com
Syruckus Phil At Sun's Syruckus photoset
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates