« Home | Joanie Bugs Out » | If You Thought Crows Were Bad, Try Coyotes » | Will The Erie Canal Bring Bruce Back To Syracuse? » | This Lent, I'm Giving Up The Cynicism » | homer » | Aging In Place--New Thoughts On Community » | On Saul Alinsky, Community Organizing & Syracuse » | Free Bob Marley! » | Grassroots Democracy In Bloom » | Hey, Welcome! Meta Content Ahead. » 

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 

That "New Cars" Smell--Not Bad!

An interesting rock 'n'roll revival--The Cars, replacing singer/songwriter/leader Ric Ocasek with, wait for it. . . TODD RUNDGREN!Now called The New Cars, the band ripped through a nice performance on the Tonight Show of the Cars hit "Good Times Roll".

I'm very much into this development. From the Nazz to Utopia and his solo career, Rundgren is a much more accomplished writer and performer than the icy Ocasek. New album and tour in May!

I'm a huge Rundgren fan ("Open My Eyes" from the Nazz is one of my favorite tunes) and I view this as a very positive development. I was never a big Cars fan, their debut album was very good, everything else leaves me cold.

And that's what I take away from the Cars--cold! Ocasek plays up the synthy, surface 80's mood very well--but ran it into the ground.

Rundgren's live performance on the Tonight Show was great--audience participation, call and response choruses. Awesome. I'm looking forward to their new album--a mixture of Cars covers and new tunes.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Phil
  • From Syracuse
My profile
www.flickr.com
Syruckus Phil At Sun's Syruckus photoset
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates